The article will show you how to install Exchange 2013 preview on Windows Server 2012 with fast look at some changes in this new exchange version.
Installing Exchange 2013 Prerequisites:
Note: in below steps, I installed Exchange 2013 preview on Windows Server 2012.
Open management shell and copy and Paste below
Install-WindowsFeature AS-HTTP-Activation, Desktop-Experience, NET-Framework-45-Features, RPC-over-HTTP-proxy, RSAT-Clustering, Web-Mgmt-Console, WAS-Process-Model, Web-Asp-Net45, Web-Basic-Auth, Web-Client-Auth, Web-Digest-Auth, Web-Dir-Browsing, Web-Dyn-Compression, Web-Http-Errors, Web-Http-Logging, Web-Http-Redirect, Web-Http-Tracing, Web-ISAPI-Ext, Web-ISAPI-Filter, Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console, Web-Metabase, Web-Mgmt-Console, Web-Mgmt-Service, Web-Net-Ext45, Web-Request-Monitor, Web-Server, Web-Stat-Compression, Web-Static-Content, Web-Windows-Auth, Web-WMI, Windows-Identity-Foundation
Then download below software and install them :
Microsoft Unified Communications Managed API 4.0, Core Runtime 64-bit
Microsoft Office 2010 Filter Pack 64 bit
Note: Before start Exchange 2013 Preview setup, you must also uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ 11 Beta Redistributable (x64) – 11.0.50531 from Programs in Control Panel.
Exchange 2013 preview
and Extract the file and double click on setup
Now I will list some of new features of Exchange 2013:
- In Exchange 2013 preview come with two Server Roles , The Mailbox server contains all Exchange Server Roles found in Exchange 2010 like Mailbox, Client Access, Hub transport and Unified messaging & The Client Access server provides authentication, redirection, and proxy services only.
- There is no RPC Client Access Services on Client Access Server; all users only will connect to Exchange through RPC over HTTPS, only outlook 2007 or later is supported.
- Server Upgrade very easy and is independent between servers roles, not like Exchange 2010 that you have to update CAS before MBX roles and so on.
- For multiple site deployment and resilience, you can deploy central Client Access to serve multiple sites with multiple mailbox servers divided between sites.
Exchange Admin Center (EAC)
Managing Exchange through Exchange Management Console (EMC) no longer exists and now all managing through Web with Exchange Control Panel (ECP) as in Exchange 2010 with all administration tasks added to Exchange 2013.
Compliance and Management:
Data Loss prevention: Prevent users from sending sensitive information to unauthorized people, In-Place discovery : Allow you to search across Exchange 2013 preview, SharePoint 2013 Preview, and Lync 2013 Preview.
Outlook Web Applications
- Enhance messages with office Applications like Bing Maps that offer you a tap to view your find friend work address when he includes the street name in his email. Also there many applications available on Microsoft for download.
- Support many browser in different Operating system on Desktop, tablets and smartphones with supporting touch screens.
- Link and unlink contacts in single contact card from different places.
- Outlook Automatic add Linked In accounts to your connected contacts
Built-in Malware protection
Exchange 2013 has a built-in Malware protection as below:
The transport services changed in Exchange 2013 and consist of three services ; The Front End Transport service on Client Access servers, The Hub Transport service and the Mailbox Transport service on Mailbox servers .And the below table describe each services.
|Services||Server owner||Function||Communicate with|
|Front End Transport||Client Access Server||Proxy for all inbound and external SMTP traffics.||Hub Transport services on Mailbox server|
|Hub Transport||Mailbox Server||Route messages between all Transport services. As Hub Role in Exchange 2007,2010||Front End, Hub Transport and Mailbox Transport services|
|Mailbox Transport||Mailbox Server||Mailbox Transport Delivery service,|
- Receives SMTP messages from the Hub Transport service then
- Connect to Mailbox database through (RPC) to deliver the message.
Hub Transport services.Mailbox Transport Submission service,
- Connect to Mailbox database through (RPC) then
- Submits the messages over SMTP to the Hub Transport service.
The Mailbox Transport service doesn’t queue any messages locally
Voice Architecture Changes
The routing logic and SIP redirect exist on a Client Access server. It handles SIP requests and redirects between SIP peers and Mailbox Server and doesn’t receive and media traffics, The Mailbox server establish media channel between IP-PBX gateways after receive SIP traffic from Client Access Server.
Associate UM dial plans to UM server objects isn’t required because Mailbox and Client Acess Server both are expected to receive incoming call, when we deploy Lync or OCS , we should add Mailbox and Client Access Server in SIP dial plan.
For sure there is many New features in Exchange 2013 preview, you can see at Microsoft Web site.
Really it’s very nice and interesting version of Exchange, I like it very much.
2 thoughts on “How to Install Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 preview”
I am not getting client access server option..While installing exchage 2013 on windows 2012..
Hi, did you install prerequisites before start the exchange.